In 1922 Charles Tyler and his brother Fred started a small hardware and ironmongers store in the Derby Square area of Loughborough, Leicestershire. The store was an instant success and quickly developed a reputation for quality goods that were reasonably priced. Over the course of the next thirty years the store went from strength to strength. It was over this time that Charles and Fred’s children became involved in the business.
First to join was Charles’ son Tom in 1930 and between 1945 and 1953 all of Fred’s sons joined the business. John, Brian 'Tim' and Noel made Tylers a true family business and allowed the original founders to retire and leave the business in the capable hands of the next generation of Tylers.
In 1975 Tylers moved from Derby Square, relocating in the Carillon Court Shopping Centre in the centre of Loughborough. The move gave Tylers a much bigger store and allowed the company to branch out into new areas. Because the store was so much bigger, the current Tylers team introduced the third generation of family into the business.
Throughout the 1980’s three new Tylers, Mike, Steve and Mat, joined the company and between them they have maintained the values of the original family founders , while constantly re-developing the business to remain current and relevant.